My experience with the math art learning project started with stress. For me having to create art is quite
the challenge. By adding art into the activity it takes a subject that I am comfortable with and makes it
uncomfortable. The stress was reduced once I found my group and we picked an art piece to recreate.
And once we had an idea of what we were going to do the project became more about math again and
less about art removing the stress while leaving me still uncomfortable. Choosing the art piece to
recreate was difficult. Do I focus on a piece that looks intriguing, or a piece that has cool
mathematical concepts to it, or do I look for one that I can reasonably recreate. My group found a good
piece of art that fit all three pretty well.
Choosing how to recreate the art piece with a slight difference was where the mathematical learning
really started. Being uncomfortable was not bad for me, it forced me to think harder and differently about math
Concepts. The project let my group take an art piece and think of every way that math can apply to it or
how it could apply to math. We came up with different ideas, but most revolved around taking and 2D
shape and making it a 3D shape through either a rotation or pulling the shape into the 3rd dimension.
This can be used in geometry or integration in 1D, 2D or 3D. It was then the question of how to take
this idea then expand on it. We saw this as a way to introduce translations and rotations. The project
was a way to get us to think about many different math concepts and their applications.
By making some of the class uncomfortable it helps bring out different ideas. For the students who
may not be so keen on math and relate more to art this activity will be a great way to introduce them
to the possibilities of math. For adding this project into the classroom I think it has some merit for a
midterm project. The project does run the risk of becoming too big so I think the teacher needs to be very
clear with the expectations of the project. I think this activity could be used as an option on a final project
but I think there should be other projects to choose from.
the challenge. By adding art into the activity it takes a subject that I am comfortable with and makes it
uncomfortable. The stress was reduced once I found my group and we picked an art piece to recreate.
And once we had an idea of what we were going to do the project became more about math again and
less about art removing the stress while leaving me still uncomfortable. Choosing the art piece to
recreate was difficult. Do I focus on a piece that looks intriguing, or a piece that has cool
mathematical concepts to it, or do I look for one that I can reasonably recreate. My group found a good
piece of art that fit all three pretty well.
Choosing how to recreate the art piece with a slight difference was where the mathematical learning
really started. Being uncomfortable was not bad for me, it forced me to think harder and differently about math
Concepts. The project let my group take an art piece and think of every way that math can apply to it or
how it could apply to math. We came up with different ideas, but most revolved around taking and 2D
shape and making it a 3D shape through either a rotation or pulling the shape into the 3rd dimension.
This can be used in geometry or integration in 1D, 2D or 3D. It was then the question of how to take
this idea then expand on it. We saw this as a way to introduce translations and rotations. The project
was a way to get us to think about many different math concepts and their applications.
By making some of the class uncomfortable it helps bring out different ideas. For the students who
may not be so keen on math and relate more to art this activity will be a great way to introduce them
to the possibilities of math. For adding this project into the classroom I think it has some merit for a
midterm project. The project does run the risk of becoming too big so I think the teacher needs to be very
clear with the expectations of the project. I think this activity could be used as an option on a final project
but I think there should be other projects to choose from.
Patrick McManus
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.